Support During Fertility Treatment – www.irisfertility.co.uk
This amazing service run by Natasha Canfer, offers a bespoke ‘sherpa’ service, offering you practical and emotional support during fertility treatment. There are local meet ups for those in or considering treatment and grandparents to be and a bookarium; a wide range of fertility resources that you can borrow.
This is a selection of titles which my patients or I have found useful.
- Making Babies the Hard Way – Caroline Gallup
- Fertility and Conception – Zita West
- Zita West’s Guide to Getting Pregnant – Zita West
- The Infertility Cure – Randine Lewis
- IVF: The Wayward Stork – Sarah A. Tursi and Lea McCarthy
- Nurturing Yourself Through IVF: Improve Your Experience, Maximize Your Odds of Success – Lynn Daley
- The Complete Guide To IVF – Kate Brian
- Beyond Childlessness – Rachel Black and Louise Scull
- Fertility (relaxation CD) – Tina Taylor and Nick Kemp
- Anji Infertility Meditation CDs – shipping from the US, these CDs arrive in 5 – 7 days.
The Paulus Study evaluated the effect of acupuncture on the pregnancy rate in assisted reproduction therapy (ART) by comparing a group of patients receiving acupuncture treatment shortly before and after embryo transfer with a control group receiving no acupuncture. Download the report.
Other ways of supporting yourself through this time can be by using support groups or accessing online support. There are links to lots of support organisations below.
- hfea.gov.uk A guide to all facilities both NHS and private offering fertility treatment. Includes statistics from 2004 of successful births so you can compare clinics. Displays latest HFEA inspection reports on fertility clinics. Offers a very clear and extensive free guide to fertility services, explaining which treatments are available, what to expect etc. Recommended.
- britishfertilitysociety.org.uk The organisation that represents providers of assisted reproduction services.
- bbc.co.uk/health/fertility Includes details of ‘A child of our time’ series and features video clips of procedures, details of what to expect from services and raises ethical questions concerning fertility.
- verity-pcos.org.uk Group set up by women with polycystic ovaries. Offers free downloadable booklet on PCOS. Can pay to join group and access various booklets etc. I also have copies of these people can borrow.
- endo.org.uk Site geared for those with endometriosis and includes details of support groups. Nearest to Leeds is Harrogate.
- infertilitynetworkuk.com Largest national fertility network, offering support and advice including a freephone number for members, a newsletter, local groups, access to medical advisors and information on funding issues.
- infertiltynetworkuk.com/moretolife Support for the involuntary childless
- ivf-infertility.com Site written by health professionals. Includes fertility calendar and ovulation predictor.
- carefertility.com Very busy bulletin board and chat room run by Care, one of the top private clinic providers. Recommended by patients of mine who have found it very supportive.
- fertilityfriends.co.uk The most popular forum and bulletin board with my patients.
- birthchoices.co.uk A fantastic pregnancy resource, offering articles on birthing, maternity news, research and local services.
Download my free guide
I’ve written a free guide for couples who are trying to conceive, answering some commonly asked questions.
My book recommendations